Sunday, April 10, 2011

Skiing Holiday... 2!


Remember my first skiing holiday? Well I went back for more!! Not to the same place, but somewhere close! ...And not with the same people, but still nice people!

It all happened three weeks ago. Me, Matt (other PhD), Jon (other PhD), Jon's girlfriend (Rebecca) and Matt's mate (Gary) went to Les Arcs in France. We took the Eurostar train, it was soo much better than my 30 hour coach journey I did last time. We even got given blankets and a blow-up pillow to sleep with!


We started skiing pretty much as soon as we got to the resort! I remembered how to just fine (like riding a bike!). Unlike everyone else, me & Gary opted to not get lessons each morning, so we just went off together and did our own thing. He was such a nice guy! I spent a lot of time with him sat on slow ski-lifts, and we would sing Panic At The Disco (even on the slopes!). Here we are together:


Skiing was great! We all got along really well, and us boys were all a similar level. We went down some pretty scary slopes! I fell over a few times, especially this one time when I hit a rock! Luckily, we caught it all on video because we took a helmet-camera with us!!:

What are the odds!

Skiing from the top of the mountain was amazing! I did it twice, the second time it was so misty it was like wearing a blind-fold! We had to wait for people to go past just to see which direction we needed to go! First time I went up there (with just Gary) I remember being quite scared because there were lots of signs saying "danger of death" and huge cliff edges and even stretchers there for broken bodies!! But I skied it anyway!!


For the last two days, I tried snowboarding. It was pretty fun at first, but then the pain got worse and worse and it just wasn't worth it. The more you fell over, the more you would hurt so the slower you would go; but the slower you went the harder it was to balance so the more you fell over! A real vicious-circle!


Omg, there was this one time when I was at the top of a slope with my snowboard and I took my feet out of it so I could walk down the steep bit. As soon as I unstrapped my feet, BOOM! The snowboard slipped away from me and was gaining speed very rapidly as it raced down the busy slope! I was so embarrassed, it was so dangerous! I ran after it but I had no chance of catching it. Everyone on the ski-lift above me were gasping and pointing at me! Several people tried to stop it (one person fell-over badly trying!). It was out of my sight and I thought I had lost it when I caught-up with Jon who had somehow managed to save it! (Apparently, everyone on the ski-lift cheered when that happened!). I could've almost died of embarrassment! I just hid my face behind my ski gear and goggles!

We met some crazy Dutch people while we were there. We had a great night out watching a live band (Moustache!) in a bar. I sang so much the bassist even pointed at me (in a good way, I think...)! Then we went to a club, etc. So much fun!


In closing, I think the skiing holiday was great fun. I'm glad I went with these guys because I got to know them well and they were all really nice! Hopefully, one day, I can go again!

No comments:

Post a Comment