Sunday, January 09, 2011

Meditation, Old People and A Funny

At my uni, we have a "quiet room". It's a place where people of all faiths can take some time out to pray, meditate, contemplate, etc. It was invented because Muslims have to pray so often every day and they had no place to do it. I even used to see them on their knees in the corridors before we got the quiet room! I often use it for meditation at the end of a day at work. A couple of weeks before Christmas, I was alone in there, meditating, when I hear someone walk in, then stop. I had my eyes closed so I couldn't see him, but I heard him tap on the lockers by the door. I ignored it. Then he said "excuse me", so I had no choice but to break meditation, open my eyes and look at him, frustrated.

He was a big chap, middle-Eastern looking. He told me that I was not allowed to be in there because I am not a Muslim. He told me the room is only for Muslims to pray in and that I had to leave. He said it in quite a harsh tone, with some fire in his eyes. I think he expected me to get angry, but I stayed calm and explained to him that the room was for everyone, etc. He insisted that it wasn't. He told me that I especially wasn't allowed in there with shoes on because "we like to keep our homes clean, unlike most people..."(!)

I looked around for the sign saying it's for everyone, but it had conveniently disappeared. I had no choice but to leave! Before I was even out the door he started chanting his Muslim tongues. I thought it was meant to be a quiet room! I emailed my head of school and they will soon introduce a booking system for the room. So I guess there goes the idea of all religions and faiths using it together.

Onto a better note! The other night I had a breakthrough! Let me explain. I know it's stupid at my age, but I've always been fearful of growing old and lonely. What if I don't marry? What if my partner dies before me? What if I have no children and all of my friends die before me? Well, I discovered care homes / old peoples homes! Sure, I knew about them before, but I never even considered them because of the way people always talk about how they never want to go to one. But I've realised that they would be great! With/without a partner, I could sell my lonely house to afford the poshest care home money could buy! In there would be an endless pile of new friends in the same situation, with a lifetime of stories. No more cooking/cleaning, just relaxing! It'd be like student halls again! I remember visiting a care home on a school trip, and I remember it being very laid back and cheery. So, this is a big worry I can clear from my head :-)

Onto a hilarious note!! Last night, there was a knock at the door. Lucy popped back down the stairs to answer it. The blonde girl asked Lucy if Chris lived here, Lucy said yes and pointed her to his bedroom. The blonde girl skips into Chris' room with a happy "hello!" before realising that it wasn't the right Chris!! She stops and asks "is your name Chris?" and she realises she found the right name but in the wrong house!! Embarrassed, she lets herself out while me and Lucy are falling about upstairs! It made my entire week!! Poor girl!!

Finally, let's brighten this post up with a photograph of my family playing the snowball game over Christmas (as usual!):

No comments:

Post a Comment